My husband and I have recently started weight watchers, so you will start to notice that some of my recipes that I share are on the healthy side of things. This recipe that I am going to share with you now is healthy, but I grew up with my grandma making it for us and have always loved it. So healthy of not, this is a great recipe.
Grandma’s Swiss Steak
1-1 ½ pound round steak
Flour
Oil
Salt
Pepper
2 large onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 ½ cup tomato sauce
Cut the round steak into strips. Coat each strip with flour and brown in oil. Salt and pepper the steaks while browning. Brown on both sides and remove from skillet. Place the chopped vegetables in the skillet and cook until crisp tender. Add the steak back to the skillet and cook until meat is tender (this takes a while, because round steak is very tough). Add water as needed to keep from sticking. Add tomato sauce and cook down to desired consistency. Serve over rice.
When we make this recipe we always use fresh from the garden ingredients, we even can our own tomato sauce, but I know not everyone has the fresh from the garden ingredients at home. So, I know from experience, that store bought ingredients work just as well. I hope you like my grandmas recipe for Swiss steak, and it may be healthy, but it still is tasty.
No comments:
Post a Comment