Thursday, November 3, 2011

Mexican Made Healthy

Baked Chicken Chimichangas

1 ½ cup cubed cooked chicken breast
1 ½ cup picante sauce, divided
½ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
2/3 cup chopped green onions, divided
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
1 tablespoon butter, melted

In a small bowl, combine the chicken, 3/4 cup picante sauce, cheese, 1/4 cup green onions, cumin, and oregano. Spoon 1/2 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Place seam side down in a 15 x 10 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Brush with butter. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Top with remaining sauce and onions.

Chimichangas were the first type of Mexican food I had ever tried, and when we went out for Mexican, that is what I always got. I know eat almost any type of Mexican food, but Chimichangas are still by far, my favorite. I love them, but they aren’t very good for you because they are fried, so when I came across this recipe I had to try it since they were baked and not fried, and we loved it. I probably make it once a month. It is fast and easy, and very tasty. I like to serve it with Spanish rice and refried beans, but the Chimichanga itself is plenty, and will fill you up. Baking the chimichanga still gives it the crunchy texture that you look for, but cuts down the calorie count by a lot. Hope  

No comments:

Post a Comment